Tuesday 21 April 2015

The Final Countdown

Just 5 days to go. How do I feel about the race now?

I'm actually really looking forward to it.  The excitement is starting to build. I know that the last 6-7 miles are going to be HARD ... but the buzz from this huge event - from moving in a river of runners through the heart of this great city - should help carry me for much of the way round.  And when the grind sets in, I'm hoping encouragement from the crowd will help keep me going through the last few miles to the finish line.

Lucy T from Boost has been brilliantly supportive all the way through this. One thing she's done, which will really help on the day, was to send me a Boost running shirt with my name in big letters on the front, so that spectators can shout out encouragement to me personally. It's the first time I've run with my name on my shirt - and it should really help.

The weather forecast is for a low pressure front to come across the country at the weekend, ending the spell of sunny weather we've been having. Fine by me. Call me selfish but the last thing you want to run 26 miles in is heat. I remember spectating the London Marathon one year during a spring heatwave: at the 20 mile mark, none of the runners was enjoying the race and plenty looked to be overheating and in trouble.

So, sorry guys, the cool weather will do just fine. Throw some drizzle in too if you like.
(No wind though please!)

No comments:

Post a Comment